The beauty of the record media is that it lives forever. Many artists struggle with staying current & relevant while maintaining the appeal that popularized them. A corespondent and I where going over product for release when I we came across some older material, which immediately jumped out at me. The passion, the delivery, the twist in emotions all spoke volumes. He quickly negated the product by saying it was old work.
My reply was. “To whom? To whom was this product old to? The people in Brooklyn? Your family? Your production team? or Just you?”
Good product never dies. There is no life expectancy on quality. As an independent artist with limited funds make the best out of opportunities. Listed below are 5 suggestions on when would be the best time or way to re-release a product.
5. A dance mix – Your song have again a little buzz but isn’t really popping or maybe quite the opposite. Everyone is talking about it. Revive the song with a dance mix and introduce a whole new audience to your product
4. Remix – Adding other people to a song can extended the shelve life a record (take for example Diddy’s 1996 All About the Benjamin’s DJ Clue mixtape song) Another thing a remix does is help you capitalize on the popularity of other artists.
3. Celebratory Re-release – A monumental mark in the professional life of an industry, an artists or company warrants the re-release of their most celebrated content.
2. Remastered– Your song was awesome. Now make it better by enhancing of sound of the previously existing recording. Remastered works often breathe new life into projects
1. Promotional release – You have more fans than you did 3 years ago, a website and larger social media presence; reissue previous content to show your growth or help fans get to know who you are. This can act as a lead promotion to the introduction of new project in the works.
Be creative about your brand. Remember even though you have thousands of fans online there are 1.9 billion people actively using the internet. Target new markets and get the most out of your content. What is old to you maybe new to someone else.
Check out old content from our network
If I were obese DUTTY TALK 2007 Vlog Post inspired by Big Ants NWSO.com
Positive Reinforcement DUTTY TALK 2007 Vlog Post