I love Google. Yes I said it. I love Google. I have been using Google applications since 2005 as a for hire freelance artist and for all business related operations. As Google has grown so has my business. I tested numerous Google products over the past six year as the digital industry has opened up. Some products stood the test of time and other were shelved. None the less Google apps have always set the pace for new innovations in digital communications.
I love Google simply because there are a number of Google applications that make running a small business easier.
- Rate and share places on Google Each business listing on Google is in fact a giant ‘cluster’ of information that we get from a few different places: Yellow Pages, for example, as well as other third-party providers. However, the basic information that you submit through Google Places is the information that we trust the most. This means that it will appear instead of any basic information that we get from anywhere else. To make sure the basic information you submit is accurate, we’ll ask you to verify it first by entering a PIN that will be sent to either your business address or phone number.
You can add other information to your listing too — such as a description of your business, for example, as well as photos, reviews, or information about hours and parking costs — that will also appear above similar information from other providers.
- Google Analytics is the enterprise-class web analytics solution that gives you rich insights into your website traffic and marketing effectiveness. Powerful, flexible and easy-to-use features now let you see and analyse your traffic data in an entirely new way. With Google Analytics, you’re more prepared to write better-targeted ads, strengthen your marketing initiatives and create higher converting websites.
- Google voice gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail as easy as email, free US long distance, low rates on international calls, and many calling features that gives your small business advantage it needs to compete.
- Google AdSense is an ad serving application run by Google Inc. Website owners can enroll in this program to enable text, image, and video advertisements on their websites. These advertisements are administered by Google and generate revenue on either a per-click or per-impression basis.
- Google Alerts is content change detection and notification service, offered by the search engine company Google, that automatically notifies users when new content from news, web, blogs, video and/or discussion groups matches a set of search terms selected by the user and stored by the Google Alerts service.
- Currently there are six types of alerts sent when new content matches the search terms of the alert:
- Everything – (default setting) aggregates News, Web and Blogs
- News – sent when matching content makes it into the top ten results of a Google News search
- Web – sent when new web pages appear in the top twenty results for a Google Web search
- Blogs – sent when matching content appears in the top ten results of a Google Blog Search
- Video – sent when matching content appears in the top ten results of a Google video search
- Groups – sent when matching content appears in the top fifty results of a Google Groups search
- Online, free word processing with Google documentsCreate and share documents on the web and access them from any computer or smart phone. The familiar desktop feel makes collaborative editing easy.
Google Doc is my personal favorite. As a new media house, DisitinctiveImpression MMG, Google applications have been monumental in the growth and expansion of our company. Google doc is a pivotal part of our interoffice and B2B communications. Using Google Doc my team and I execute, training sessions, meetings and collaborate on contracts, as well as, other business related documents as a collective. Google Doc has cut down preproduction time allowing us to focus on creating powerful content and providing us a means to quality check projects as a collective.
Google doc also makes collecting data from our fan-base easier with its forms component.
As a small business owner I encourage you to explore the wonderful world of Google apps and extensions to increase your business productivity. Share you Google experience with us by leaving a comment in the comment box.